Thursday, July 8, 2010

Mad Men's Christina Hendricks says designers have FINALLY got the message

By Lizzie Smith

Finally: Christina Hendricks said she was finally being offered designer clothes that fitted, after criticising the fashion industry


Ever since she stepped on screen in Mad Men Christina Hendricks has been a poster girl for the curvy women of this world.

She even publicly spoke out to criticise designers who only make clothes in tiny sizes.

And it seems the fashion industry was listening - Christina says she is finally able to get clothes in her size.

'It’s been really nice,' she revealed.

'The show has gotten more successful, and people started realizing we were winning [awards].

'They’ve been incredibly generous, making really beautiful things,' she told the magazine of the LA Times.

It was a different story earlier this year, when the 35-year-old told Glamour magazine: 'It is difficult come awards season, and I need to find a gown to walk down the red carpet in, and there are only size zeros and size twos available.


Natural beauty: But Christina admits she dyes her blonde hair its famous red shade


'Then it becomes downright annoying because all these designers are saying, "We love Mad Men, we love Christina, but we won’t make her a dress."'

On Mad Men Christina plays Joan Harris (nee Holloway) in the hit 1960s show, wearing vintage underwear.

She said it was sometimes a challenge.

'We’re so used to it now, but those undergarments really aren’t made for relaxing.


Winning role: Christina as Joan Harris in Mad Men


The full interview is in the July issue of LA Times Magazine


'If I get my entire costume on, and I have to wait a few hours for my next scene, I have to learn how to position myself, otherwise the boning presses into my guts.

'It can really hurt those internal organs. I have this little war wound - a blister from wearing a garter the other day for 17 hours.'

Christina also talked about how she dyed her naturally blonde hair her famous red shade at the age of ten.

'I was obsessed with the novel Anne of Green Gables,' she explained.

'I decided I was Anne of Green Gables. There was something that spoke to me about her, and I wanted to have her beautiful red hair.

'So my mother said, “Let’s just go to the drugstore and get one of those cover-the-gray rinses!” My hair was very blond at the time, but it went carrot red.

'And I was over the moon. I went to school the next day and felt like myself. And then I went back [to that colour] over and over again. What a cool mom, right?'


source: dailymail

No comments:

Post a Comment