Monday, May 17, 2010

After The Queen, Helen Mirren plays a brothel madam... complete with American accent

By Daily Mail Reporter

Regal: Helen Mirren, centre, plays a brothel madam in Love Ranch, based on the real-life story of Sally Conforte, who opened the Mustang Ranch bordello in Nevada in 1971
'It was a beautifully written character, which was why I wanted to play her, and the film really appealed to me,' she said.


She's a Dame Of The British Empire and won an Oscar for her portrayal of Her Majesty in The Queen.

But Helen Mirren's new role couldn't be more different - she plays the madam in charge of America's first legalised brothel.

Dame Helen is starring as Grace Botempo, a fictional character based on the real-life story of Sally Conforte, who opened the Mustang Ranch bordello in Nevada in 1971.

Oscar winner: Dame Mirren as The Queen


'I love the subject matter, I love the milieu and I love the period - the Seventies.'

Dame Helen told the Telegraph that she visited the present-day Mustang Ranch to prepare.

'I met the present madam, Susan Austin, and I found that she's enormously helpful. She's really taking her role seriously.

'There is the sense of being a businesswoman.'

And the 64-year-old has even perfected an American accent for the role.

'It's very weird. I live in America, I have American stepsons and an American husband, and I find it so difficult,' she said.

'I had a great dialogue coach but I was very self conscious at first.'

The film, released in June, is directed by Dame Helen's husband Taylor Hackford.

Joe Pesci stars as Dame Helen's onscreen husband Charlie, based on the character of Joe Conforte.

In the film a world famous heavyweight boxer from South America, Armando Bruza (Sergio Peris-Mencheta), is brought to the ranch to train during one of Charlie's money-making schemes.

Romance develops but leads to passion and murder when Bruza comes between the couple.


Working together: Dame Helen with husband Taylor Hackford, who directed the movie, at Cannes


source: dailymail

No comments:

Post a Comment