Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Doctor Who's flame-haired new assistant Karen Gillan makes her debut... as a cover girl

By Liz Thomas

Who's that? Karen Gillan models for Grazia magazine ahead of her debut in Doctor Who next month


This time last year she was an unknown jobbing actress and model.

Today new Doctor Who companion Karen Gillan is every inch the modern cover girl.

The 22-year-old, who follows in the footsteps of stars such as Billie Piper and Catherine Tate as the Doctor’s assistant, is fast becoming a fashion favourite thanks to her long legs and striking good looks.


The next series of Doctor Who starts next month with 27-year-old Matt Smith replacing David Tennant as the Time Lord, while Miss Gillan plays his sidekick, Amy Pond.

The flame haired, 5ft 11in young actress has yet even to be seen on screens in the new role but is already in demand for glossy photo shoots.

In a shoot for Grazia, her hair is tousled into a bush of bright red, while she towers in pair of perilously high Alexander McQueen heels.

She said: ‘I am nervous. Everyone is actually going to watch it and have judgments - and opinions. But it is exciting, too - I am excited.'


Model looks: The 22-year-old is already a hit with fashion magazines


Details of the new storylines have been kept under wraps but she revealed that there is a spark between the two characters.

‘It is fair to say she is attracted to the Doctor. But I don't think that she's in love with him,' she explained.

'She's not this love sick puppy following him around. There is kissing.’


In character: As Amy Pond


Miss Gillan, who is from Inverness, attended the Italia Conti stage school in London after finishing her GCSEs but quit after landing a role on ITV’s Rebus.

She has since featured in hospital drama Harley Street, as well as Channel 4 comedy The Kevin Bishop Show.

The young actress also briefly appeared in Doctor Who in 2008 appearing as a soothsayer in the episode entitled The Fires Of Pompeii.

Earlier this year she said: 'It's a pretty terrifying role, but a huge privilege to be part of an iconic show.

'I'm following a long line of great actresses who have played the companion, so it's quite daunting. I'd love to sit down with them and have a good chat about it.'

She also spoke of her pride at having red hair, despite being bullied for it when she was younger.

She said: 'I got teased for being a redhead when I was younger, which is strange because I'm Scottish and there are loads of us - we should unite forces! I love my red hair.
‘When I was 15, I dyed half my hair pink, inspired by the 'Bootylicious' video. My parents went mental!

'I had it for a good few months - I kept re-dyeing it, because I thought it looked really cool. That's my biggest fashion faux pas to date.’

The full interview and more pictures appear in this week's Grazia Magazine, on sale today.


source: dailymail

No comments:

Post a Comment